Vendor Map

Vendor Information

RAGBRAI will be coming to Shenandoah on July 24th, 2016 for an overnight stay. Vendors of all types are encouraged to apply for a permit to sell items for the RAGBRAI event that will host the 10,000-20,000 people that will be visiting our community. The application form can be downloaded below.

Your application cannot be processed unless this form is completely filled out, the proper fees are enclosed, and a copy of your proof of liability insurance coverage is enclosed. Please make a separate check for the $50 deposit. Please make checks payable to: RAGBRAI Shenandoah, c/o SCIA, 619 W. Sheridan Ave., Shenandoah, IA 51601 with "Vendor Fee" in the Memo Line.

Vendors cancelling before July 1st, 2016 will be entitled to a refund of all funds except $50 Application/Clean-Up Deposit Fee. All cancellations after July 1st, 2016 are non-refundable.

Vendor Application

Return form to:
Shenandoah Chamber
619 W. Sheridan Ave.
Shenandoah, Iowa 51601


EARLY DEADLINE APPLICATIONS ARE DUE BY JUNE 1st, 2016. LATE APPLICATION DEADLINE IS JUNE 15th, 2016. Please Contact Us if you have any questions.

SCIA Office: (712) 246-3455
Food & Vendor Chair Jeff Baker: (712) 370-1652 or

Food License Requirements

When is a license needed?
  • When providing unpackaged food or beverages to the public. (i.e. - tacos, burgers, lemonade, BBQ, etc.)
  • When providing commercially prepared pre‐packed food or beverage that requires temperature control for safety. (i.e. - ice cream bars, milk, yogurt, etc.)
  • When providing cut fruits that require temperature control for safety. (i.e. - cut watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew melons.)
When is a license not needed?
  • When providing commercially prepared pre‐packed food or beverage that does not require temperature control for safety. (i.e. - bottled sodas, packaged candy, packaged chips, packaged granola bars, etc.)
  • When providing whole, uncut fruits and vegetables.
Who must be licensed?
  • For profit organizations and individuals.
  • Non-profit organizations who do not meet exemption requirements.
    • Non-Profit License Exemptions: Premises regularly used by a nonprofit organization which engages in the serving of food on the premises as long as the following restrictions are not exceeded:
      • Does not serve food more than one day per calendar week.
      • Twice per calendar year – may serve to the public up to 3 consecutive days.
      • May use another nonprofit organization's premises, not more than twice per year for one day, to serve food.

Food Vendors are responsible for applying for and obtaining their license. (City organizers may not issue food licenses to sell food only permits to operate in the city.)

For more information download the Food License Requirements below:
Food License Requirements & Contact Information

Temporary Food Service Establishments and Farmer's Markets

What is a "temporary food stand"?
A temporary food stand is an establishment where food is prepared or handled, and operates at the same location, and at a single event or celebration (such as a fair, carnival or festival) for no more than 14 consecutive days.

Is a permit required to operate a temporary food stand?
Yes. The permit acknowledges that a vendor agrees to meet the requirements designed to ensure food is handled safely and is prepared under sanitary conditions.

Who do I contact to obtain a temporary food permit?
To obtain a permit, a food vendor must contact the regulatory authority that conducts food inspections in the area. If you are unsure of the regulatory authority in your area, go to the Department's Map of Iowa Food Programs located at , or contact the Iowa Department of Inspections & Appeals, Food & Consumer Safety Bureau, Lucas State Office Building, 321 E 12th Street, Des Moines, IA 50319. You may contact the Bureau by telephone at (515) 281-6538, or by e-mail at

Find out what is required to become a "temporary food stand":
Temporary Food Service License Requirements

To apply for a temporary food stand license:
Temporary Food Establishment Application

For more information download the Operator's Guidelines below:
Temporary Food Service Operator's Guidelines

Mobile Food Units

What is a "mobile food unit"?
Mobile food units are a type of annually licensed food establishment that are a readily movable vehicle (on wheels) that is self-propelled (driven), or can be pulled or pushed down a sidewalk or street. They vary in equipment and design, depending upon the type of food and service intended by the operator. Pre-approved menu items may be prepared or processed on the vehicle which is used to sell and dispense food to the consumer. Mobile food units may park and operate up to three consecutive days at one location or return to a home base of operation at the end of each day.

Home Base and Service Area Requirements
Mobile food units must return to their Home Base of Operation a minimum of every three days for thorough cleaning and sanitizing of the facility, disposal of waste water, and general maintenance of the unit. Mobile units may need to return to their home base of operation on a more frequent basis depending on business demands. Water supplied to the mobile food unit shall be from a public water source. If water is supplied from a private source, the water must be tested annually with test results provided to the regulatory authority. If on-site power is required for the mobile unit to function overnight, then the plug shall be secured to an outlet to prevent loss of power. If not secured, all perishable foods shall be removed and stored in a licensed commissary. Any storage or handling of food at a home base would require a license.

A home base of operation may include a licensed Commissary or licensed Warehouse. The mobile unit permit holder and the commissary or warehouse permit holder must be the same person or company. A mobile food unit may have the ability to operate without a commissary. The decision will be made by the Environmental Health Specialist during the plan review and pre-operational inspection.

For more information download the Mobile Food Unit Guide below:
Mobile Food Unit Guide


Food Vendors: Please provide at least two 30-gallon or larger trash containers for your service area, and one recycling container if applicable to your sales.


  • Completed Vendor Application Fee (2 Pages).
  • $50 Application / Clean-Up Deposit Fee (Please write separate check).
  • Proof of Liability Insurance.
  • Proof of Iowa Sales Tax Permit.
  • Menu & Pricing, if applicable.
  • Food License from Iowa Department of Inspections & Appeals, if applicable.

Vendor Contact

SCIA Office: (712) 246-3455
Food & Vendor Chair Jeff Baker: (712) 370-1652 or

Vendor Application

Return form to:
Shenandoah Chamber
619 W. Sheridan Ave.
Shenandoah, Iowa 51601